Eggs are superbly nutritious and also very delicious. You can make eggs in many ways and have a balanced meal for yourself. There is much debate about how many eggs are suitable for a person in a day. So here we talk about the pros and cons of having eggs and how many of them a day will not cause any troubles.
But, it is also a fact that egg yolks have a high amount of cholesterol. People have a myth that if one takes a lot of cholesterol, then the levels go up in the blood and it may lead to diseases of the heart.
Facts about cholesterol
- But one needs to understand what exactly is cholesterol and what it does in the body. It is a crucial component of the human body, and it helps in the formation of each and every membrane of the cell.
- Cholesterol is also needed for the nerve fibers, and it helps them to conduct electricity, therefore ensuring smooth working and functioning of the brain.
- Cholesterol is also an important constituent of hormones in the body like cortisol, testosterone, and estrogen. Therefore, cholesterol is a crucial component of the human body and one has to ensure to take sufficient quantity for the body to function well.
- Cholesterol is also produced in the body by the liver and it so happens that when the diet contains more amount of it, then it automatically signals the body to produce less of it. If the percentage of cholesterol decreases due to less intake in the diet, then the liver is indicated to provide more of it.. in a case, the level of cholesterol in the blood remain more or less the same, and it gets balanced out.
- Cortisol and aldosterone hormones are produced by the adrenal glands with the help of cholesterol only, and it also aids in producing testosterone and estrogen which are the sex hormones.
- Cholesterol acts as an antioxidant as well.
HDL and LDL
Cholesterol is mainly of two types, LDL or the low-density lipids which are bad for the body and HDL or the high-density lipids which are good for the body. Therefore, both of them are called bad cholesterol and good cholesterol respectively.
It is also a fact that if you consume eggs that are rich in omega-3, the triglycerides in the blood are lowered.
LDL cause atherosclerosis which is the name given to calcium and fat deposits in the blood vessels of the body. Due to these deposits, the arteries get blocked, and this is the main reason for cardiac arrests and strokes too.
HDL, on the other hand, is good cholesterol and is needed by the body in moderate quantities and aids in removing the fat and calcium deposits on the blood vessels. This helps to give protection against strokes and heart attacks.
Many studies have also proved to show that levels of HDL go up when one consumes eggs. It is also believed that whole eggs are better than just egg whites and are more efficient when it comes to increasing the levels of HDL or good cholesterol.
How many eggs per day then?
According to all this account about eggs and cholesterol, it is safe to say that three whole eggs in a day are alright to be consumed. Also, the average yolks that you can drink per week should be between 2 and 6. More yolks than six will be higher in fat content. A person having eggs on a daily basis is also bound to be healthier and have a fitter body.
Benefits of Eggs
- Eggs are not only high in cholesterol but also antioxidants like zeaxanthin and lutein. These antioxidants lower your risk to eye diseases.
- Eggs are high in choline which is a nutrient needed for smooth functioning of the brain.
- It is also believed that consuming eggs gives you a feeling of satisfaction and therefore, reduces your appetite, in turn helping you to lose weight.
- They help in building better bones and also lead to increased mass of the muscles.
- Eggs are an excellent source of protein and also have minerals that are needed for healthy eyes and brain.
Therefore, all in all, eggs happen to be among the most beneficial and nutritious natural sources for humans. They are healthy, tasty, easy to prepare and offer a plethora of health benefits. So go on and increase your egg consumption and get fitter and healthier.